How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my name is XXXXX XXXXX I live in new bern nc my 9 yr old

This answer was rated:

my name is XXXXX XXXXX I live in new bern nc my 9 yr old at terrior was killed by neighbors dog ihave awitness and I also saw it happen,this happened Thursday the 3rd he died the same timeTuesday night please help us he also killed a cat

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing your information in this regard.

I am so sorry to hear of the death of your pet.

Please tell me

1 - what direction are you looking to go in - lawsuit?

2 - have you discussed this with the neighbors - how are they responding?

3 - did their dog come onto your property - or how did this attack occur please?

4 - are there leash laws in your town/city/county?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

law,suit sherriff sai,no to stay away,yes there dog was in our yard,no leash law,idont understand prices I want lawyer in court with us



Hello Terry

And thank you for this information.

I suggest the first thing you need to do is write the neighbor a letter and tell them that you expect all the medical bills to be paid due to their dog killing your pet on your property.

I suggest in the letter you state that you are providing a copy of the invoice and that you want payment or payment plans within 7 days of receipt of the letter or you will have no other option but to file a small claims lawsuit against them

This letter must be mailed to them certified with a return receipt requsted so you can see when they received it and you will also need to show the court you tried to settle this out of court.

If they do not contact you to make payment, then I suggest you will want to file in small claims court for the medical expenses regarding your pet.

That is a process that is easy to do and thus you do not need to have a local attorney present with you. All you need to do is go to the clerk of the court in the county where you live and tell them you want the packet of forms to file a small claims lawsuit.

You will fill those out, file them and then have the neighbor served. That can be done by the Sheriff or by a local processor server or anyone over the age of 18 who is not a party to your lawsuit.

Again, I am sorry you have lost your pet and I know this is a very trying time for you and your family, but try to relax, read carefully what I have suggested you do and then consider taking that course.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated..
Sam and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you