How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31683
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Florida, and my ex-wife lives here as well. We were

This answer was rated:

I live in Florida, and my ex-wife lives here as well. We were divorced in 1997. She remarried in 1998. I remarried in 2012. The decree states that she is the beneficiary of my life insurance. The life insurance policy is worth $50,000.00. All of our children are married, with children of their own. I want to make my new wife the beneficiary. My ex-wife does not have any problems with that whatsoever. After all, 16 years later...circumstances change. Do you perceive any problems for me getting an amended decree, and would it be expensive?

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Roger : If your ex wife is agreeable to this, then it should be fairly simple to get this done.
Roger : You would have to file a motion to amend the decree and remove the language that says she must be the beneficiary.
Roger : You can get a new order to that affect and the you'd be legally entitled to change the name of the beneficiary.

That sounds very simple. Is that an expensive thing to have done?

Roger : The cost would be minimal IF everyone agrees - - probably $300-$400...

Geez, I only paid $250.00 for my divorce! Okay...Thanks!

Roger : You got a deal!
Roger : .....and that was more than 15 years ago.

I know, and she actually paid it, Have a great day and thank you!

Roger : No problem! Thanks for allowing me to assist you. Just let me know if you need anything further.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX good one! Bye.

Roger : You too!
Roger and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you