How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4491
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello I am going to court today for a charge of 38-93 assult.

This answer was rated:

Hello I am going to court today for a charge of 38-93 assult. I was a little intoxicated I do not remember the event that much just up until the point I blacked out. I was assulted by a large group of people and entered fight or flight mode and blacked out. When I came back to reality I was at the Red Rocks police station waiting on an ambulance and the police officer then gave me the ticket. I would assume that I might have hit a security person. I want this matter behind me, but don't want to be arrested or lose my job. Would it be in my best interest to plead not-guilty and get a lawyer or just plead guilty and hope for the best, XXXXX XXXXX no contest and try to plead a case? Thank you for your help I have never been in trouble before with the exception of speeding tickets and don't understand the law.

I can't tell you what to do but your best bet generally is to talk to the prosecutor and see if they will offer you a good deal that you want to accept by taking a plea. The best outcome for a plea in a case like this is what is called deferred prosecution, which basically means your case is put off for a period of time and if you stay out of trouble, the case is dismissed so that you don't have a criminal record. If they want to offer you a plea that requires you to plead guilty and will result in a conviction, however, you may want to ask the court for time to obtain an attorney rather than entering a guilty plea. A record is generally something you want to avoid having so unless the prosecutor is willing to offer you something that will allow you to keep your record clean, it is a good idea to engage counsel to try to keep it off your record instead.
Hammer O'Justice and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you