Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

i received two DUIs with in a two week span, the last in early

January 2013. I was only...
i received two DUIs with in a two week span, the last in early January 2013. I was only charged with one. The Charged BAC was .160. My license was suspended January 12 and the DMV told me i could not get my license back until May 2014. I live in Colorado and would like to know if i could get it back earlier.
10/9/2013
Roger, Attorney

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Roger : Were you found guilty of a DUI 1st or DU! 2nd?
Customer:

the first one was dropped and the second one i pleaded guilty

Roger : If you pled to a DUI 1st offense, then it is possible to obtain a hardship license.
Customer:

i had not appeared in court yet when i got my second dui

Roger : However, if you pled guilty to a DUI 2nd offense, there's a 1 year mandatory suspension.
Customer:

whats a hardship license

Roger : It's a license that allows you to drive for necessary purposes - to work, school, doctor, grocery store, etc.
Customer:

Can you plead to a 2nd offense without being charged for a 1st?

Roger : Here's a good link you can read that outlines the law in Colorado: http://dui-advisor.com/revoca.htm
Customer:

so should i be able to obtain that license right now

Roger : You shouldn't have been convicted of a DUI 2nd without a first conviction, but I can't say that it didn't happen because I obviously haven't seen the paperwork.
Customer:

but according to the DMV i have to have my license suspended for longer since i had two bac's

Roger : Charges don't matter - - only convictions do.
Customer:

so the DMV shouldnt even have my first DUI on file if it was dropped in court

Roger : There may be a record of the charge, but unless you have two convictions, you should be eligible to seek a hardship license.
Customer:

thanks

Roger, Attorney
Roger, Attorney