How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

State of NJ has a judgement against me & my defunct business

This answer was rated:

State of NJ has a judgement against me & my defunct business from 2004. I live in Florida from 2005. Do I need a lawyer? I have no assets. Just SS & pension.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your legal question.

Are they attempting to collect this judgment from you? If so, what are they doing exactly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They froze my safe deposit box, which has nothing but papers in it. Nothing of any value. A collection group sent me a copy of the judgement of 35K re a fine from workers comp. I knew nothing about it. They mention garnishment. Besides SS and pension I work for 10.50 an hour. Can they collect in Fl?

They cannot take your SS or your pension, but your wages will not be exempts.

It would be wise to go ahead and consult a local attorney, as you will probably need to file exemption documents with the court issuing the garnishment order.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am credited by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Kind regards,
TexLaw and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you