How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5558
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello. I received letter from Emtman Eltman & Cooper Saying

This answer was rated:

Hello. I received letter from Emtman Eltman & Cooper Saying Verification of Debt.
Letter is saying that " We are in receipt of your request for verification of the debt in the above matter. Which is Original Account # XXXXX; Creditor to Whom the Debt is Owed Palisades Acquisitions XVI: Original Creditor UNIVERSAL CARD: EEC File NO: 4313M20116; Account Balance: $12,165.17.
Please accept this correspondence as a response to your request.
Our office is not currently in possession of a copy of the Judgment being requested. A request for this has been made with the courts. Please be advised that this request could take up to 6 months depending on the court and their request turnaround time. Once the judgment copy has been received by our office, A copy will be sent to the above address. This account will remain on hold until we are in receipt of this document and it has been forwarded to you.
If you have questions or concerns please contact the undersigned.
My question is what do I do whit this matter?
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

When you requested validation of the debt, the debt collector became legally bound to get you that information before continuing attempts at collection. It appears here, they do not have evidence of the debt in their possession and must order it from the court in which they or the original debt holder received a judgment for the debt against you. So, they are stating they're not going to contact you again until they get that validation information.

But a collector can begin contacting you again if it sends you written verification of the debt, like a copy of the judgment. If you decide after contacting the debt collector that you don’t want the collector to contact you again, tell the collector – in writing – to stop contacting you. Here’s how to do that: Make a copy of your letter. Send the original by certified mail, and pay for a “return receipt” so you’ll be able to document what the collector received. Once the collector receives your letter, they may not contact you again, with two exceptions: a collector can contact you to tell you there will be no further contact or to let you know that they or the creditor intend to take a specific action, like filing a lawsuit. Sending such a letter to a debt collector you owe money to does not get rid of the debt, but it should stop the contact.


If you wish to challenge that the debt is not yours, you should first attempt to clear up that discrepancy with the debt collector. If that doesn't work then you'll either have to sue or counter-sue the debt collector to clear the matter. If you win, the judge can require the collector to pay you for any damages you can prove you suffered because of the illegal collection practices, like lost wages and medical bills. The judge can require the debt collector to pay you up to $1,000, even if you can’t prove that you suffered actual damages. You also can be reimbursed for your attorney’s fees and court costs.



I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.



John and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you