How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello. My son is currently incarcerated in Florida at Suwannee

This answer was rated:

Hello. My son is currently incarcerated in Florida at Suwannee Correctional Institution. I believe he was and continues to be abused by the officers. He was put in confinement for 3 weeks for playing scrabble on a bench in the day room. The day before he was told it was ok, the rules change daily depending on the mood of the officer in charge. I feel he was abused because he obeyed the order to stop but was confined any way and while there he was handcuffed and beaten by 2 of the officers. He was told that was because they heard he had a bad additude. He made the mistake of asking why the rule changed. They exaggerated the charges, and made it seem like he was violating a direct order. I thought that an inmate needs to do something serious to get put in confinement. I feel under the sircumstances this prison had officers that are directly violating prisoner rights by overstepping the law which they are sworn to uphold on a daily basis. There is much more I know but of course cannot prove. What are if any the options.?? I am afraid to go to any authority in the prison itself because of retaliation by the staff on my son.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My name isXXXXX am a licensed attorney, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You or your son can file a cause of action for deprivation of his civil rights as well as violation of the eighth amendment for cruel and unusual punishment, as he is being subject to solitary confinement for minor infractions.

The cause of action is under 42 U.S.C. Section 1983, which is below:

42 USC § 1983 - Civil action for deprivation of rights

Every person who, under color of any statute, ordinance, regulation, custom, or usage, of any State or Territory or the District of Columbia, subjects, or causes to be subjected, any citizen of the United States or other person within the jurisdiction thereof to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured by the Constitution and laws, shall be liable to the party injured in an action at law, suit in equity, or other proper proceeding for redress, except that in any action brought against a judicial officer for an act or omission taken in such officer’s judicial capacity, injunctive relief shall not be granted unless a declaratory decree was violated or declaratory relief was unavailable. For the purposes of this section, any Act of Congress applicable exclusively to the District of Columbia shall be considered to be a statute of the District of Columbia.

It also would be good to contact the ACLU of Florida, as one of their campaigns is to stop solitary confinement.

They have a group that is focused solely on prisoners' rights, which can be found here:

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service. Please contact me first if you are contemplating leaving me a negative rating, as I’ll be happy to continue to address your concerns until you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work. Please also rate me highly (9-10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If my son does file a complaint won't it go badly for him in that prison?

Ho does one go about the filing.??


Hello Judy,

I really don't have any way of knowing that, but it's actually very unlikely that they would take action against him on that basis. It would be extremely illegal, and knowing that they are being investigated and a complaint filed already for abuses of civil rights it would be incredibly foolish for them to violate his civil rights even more in retaliation.

You would need to file suit in your local Federal District Court court house, but it would definitely be best to consult an attorney and get him to file suit for you and/or the ACLU, as it is an incredibly difficult process to go through without an attorney.

I can't give you specific recommendations due to site rules, but the following are good starting points:

Joseph and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you