How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55308
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

State of Virginia. Verbally agreed that person A would live

This answer was rated:

State of Virginia. Verbally agreed that person A would live in person B's home while Person B was overseas for 9 months to a year. In lieu of rent, person A would ensure that a number of home improvements were completed, some of which personally performed by Person A which would save Person B labor costs. Person A did not complete all improvements by the time Person B returned, despite giving email assurances that everything would be completed. Months after Person B returned, Person A has not completed, and Person B has had to pay out of pocket for uncompleted services, as well as unexpected costs (ie to have construction materiel removed). Can Person B sue Person A for breach of contract?
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you!

Yes, Person B does have a valid breach of contract suit. The lack of a written contract can be overcome by the concepts of promissory estoppel, detrimental reliance, and unjust enrichment. This situation arises when Person B relied upon the verbal agreement, Person B performed based on such reliance, and because Person A defaulted, such reliance is now to Person B's detriment. Where there is i) partial performance by Person B based upon the mutual promises, ii) Person B relied upon such promises to perform, iii) Person A's failure to perform would be to Person B's detriment, and iv) result in Person A being unjustly enriched, Person B can overcome the legal requirement that the agreement be in writing. This situation satisfies all the foregoing elements.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I truly appreciate you taking the time to do that!