Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My husband of 13 years kicked me out of our residence that

is on both our name...
My husband of 13 years kicked me out of our residence that is on both our name. I heard it was illegal in Maryland . He changed the locks which is also illegal in Maryland. Is there a way to obtain a court order ( and if so what type of form to fill out and what court-civil or distric court).Is living in our residence with our 12 years old daughter so I am not trying to have him evicted . I am just trying to be able to have access to my house as I please to check daily on my daughter. I have tried and was told to change the locks back but he would go right back with new ones . I need something permanent .
10/8/2013
Sam, Attorney at Law
Hello

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard.

I suggest that no he has no right to change locks on a home that you own. I suggest that you can try the state police and request an "escort' to your home. You wil need to change the locks back so you have a key once you are there.

I suggest that if he changes them again, you will need to file a divorce in the court and then request an emergency hearing to Order you Temporary Use and Possession of the home and Temporary custody of the child.

That means that he will have to leave until it is decided by the court who will stay and who will go.

At this time, that is your only option in the state of Maryland.

I am sorry to hear that you are encountering this matter.

If this is a domestic violence situation, then I suggest you should consider contacting a DV victims' advocacy group who can help you to proceed in the court. You can get contact information in that regard from the District Court Commissioner or the State's Attorney's office.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated..
Sam, Attorney at Law
Sam, Attorney at Law