How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what are statue of limitations on tax and credit card debt

This answer was rated:

what are statue of limitations on tax and credit card debt?


My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your legal question.

The statute of limitations on federal tax is 10 years from the date that the tax return was filed and the tax became due, or 10 years from the last payment on the tax due (whichever is later).

The statute of limitations on credit card debt in Minnesota is 6 years from the date of the last payment.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am credited by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Kind regards,
TexLaw and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so if there is something on my husbands credit report that says he owes 1200. and it also shows a address on it that he never lived at

and it isn't his, what should he do? He claims it isn't his. he has written a couple letters and it is still there. they sent him a settlement letter but why should he pay for something that isn't his? any advice?!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

also, is there any credit monitoring services out there that are good?

I would like to be able to know what my credit score is without spending a ton of money or hurting my credit score?

Who has your husband sent letters to?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe the credit agencies. I will ask him though.

There are a few other options.

The first is to contact the alleged creditors directly and see if you can work out this dispute with them directly.

If they will not work with you, and they have not sued you for the amount they claim you owe, then your only other option is to sue them for a Declaratory Judgment or for Negligent Damage to Credit.

In regard to credit monitoring services, I think that LifeLock is the best out there. However, the actual credit reporting agencies also offer their own credit monitoring services (experian, transunion and equifax). I would not use any other services than these.
TexLaw and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is that expensive to do- court? we could settle so we can move on. What bothers me is that this has hurt his credit for so long. so frustrating