Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Can a company ask what breed your dog is if the dog is certified

Can a company ask what breed your dog is if the dog is certified as a service dog by a psychiatrist?

Lawrence N. Rogak, Insura :

Hello! Thank you for requesting me to respond to your question. In order to give you the most accurate answer, may I ask what city and state you live in?

Customer: Waldorf, MD
Lawrence N. Rogak, Insura :

Hello, I'm still here.

Lawrence N. Rogak, Insura :

I am still here to answer your question.

Customer: Waldorf, Maryland
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

In Maryland and other states as well, under the ADA and the Service Dog laws, there is nothing that prevents a landlord asking the breed of the animal. The reason the landlord may ask the breed even though it is a service animal is that there are some breeds that might cause the landlord's insurance premiums to significantly increase, despite the fact the dog is trained as a service animal. See: HUD Memo on Service Dogs. In the event the landlord's insurance premiums would significantly increase because of the breed, the landlord has a right to disallow that particular breed on his premises or even make you make the increased payment that having that breed on the premises would cost.

It is the landlord's burden to prove this substantial and significant burden should your breed of animal live on the premises if that is what he is claiming in denying you the right to have your service animal.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the detailed response!

Thank you very much.