How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118635
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i registered a C corp last month in WA state. and dont want

This answer was rated:

i registered a C corp last month in WA state. and don't want to move forward anymore. i did nothing besides registering it.
do need pay tax for it this year?
any additional fee need pay to keep the registration?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you do not dissolve the corporation with the secretary of state you would be liable to pay renewal fees and any minimum franchise taxes that might be due. If you do not want the corporation any longer, you can file articles of dissolution with the secretary of state and they will close your company registration and you would not owe anything in following years.

If you want to keep the corporation registered, then you can do so and would pay the yearly renewal fees and if no income is made on the corporation, you would still have to file a tax return showing it is not earning anything at all, which is still a cost to you and work for you to do.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have not applied tax ID for the company yet, do i still need file tax for it? i did not operate it at all.

Thank you for your updated information.

If you have not yet obtained a tax ID then all you need to do and should do is close it to avoid paying any renewal fees.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you!

how much is the yearly renewal fee? will i get notification saying it's time to renew?

Thank you for your response.

According to the WA Secretary of State Fee Page, it would be $71 right now for renewals and filing annual reports.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you!

is ti fine that i keep it and pay renewal fee every year without running it, but do not obtain tax ID and do not file tax?

Thank you for your response.

They are going to be looking for an EIN from your registered company from the state and will be looking for some type of tax returns, which is why if you are not going to use this company it is best to dissolve it.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you