How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118722
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We live in the state of MD. About a year or so ago, MD started

This answer was rated:

We live in the state of MD. About a year or so ago, MD started withholding professional licenses and drivers licenses if you owed state debts such as past due income tax and/or restitution. My brother owes back taxes and restitution and as a result they will not renew his license when it expires at the end of the month. He is financially unable (unemployed and receiving $200 weekly) to put a lump sum payment down and make monthly payments in order to get them to allow him to get a new license. Since these are technically collection activities which must stop once the BK is filed will filing BK allow him to get his license even if the debts are non discharge able?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

In general, bankruptcy cannot extinguish state debts, such as delinquent taxes or fees. Thus, by filing bankruptcy it would not extinguish his back taxes or his restitution I am sorry to say, so he would still have to end up paying those. The bankruptcy could extinguish his other unsecured debts to free up more money for him to pay off the taxes and restitution though and it depends on his other debt situation whether or not that would work for him.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The expectation is not that those debts will be discharged. I know from having filed BK years ago that ALL collection activity must stop once the BK is filed. We understand that he will still be responsible for any debt not discharged. The question was since all collection activity must stop from the time BK is filed until the time discharge occurs will this allow him to renew his license during the period where the BK proceedings are open/active?

Thank you for your response.

Suspension or refusal to renew licenses though is not seen as an active collection activity and also because they can get a relief from automatic stay because it is a debt not able to be discharged in bankruptcy it is not going to allow him to renew his licenses I am afraid.
Customer: replied 4 years ago. there ever a way to get state taxes discharged? These are like 10 years old and the restitution is even older.

Thank you for your response.

The only way generally is to negotiate with the state or the court that issued the order to seek to do some form of payoff deal with them. Remember the government always gets their money because they are the government (they are the sovereign or king in constitutional terms and they get to make the rules of the game).
Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Thank you.