How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118212
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was falsely served with a judgment at my place of work. With

This answer was rated:

I was falsely served with a judgment at my place of work. With a little due diligence, the law firm that served me would have realized I was not the person they were looking for. Could this be considered defamation of character since it was at my work place and everyone in my office now believes I am financial irresponsible?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under CA law, in order to have a claim for defamation you must prove you suffered a monetary loss after the other party made a KNOWN false statement about you to third parties. I am afraid this was simply mistaken service, which is not considered defamation under CA law and legally is not actionable I am afraid. Even if they knew you were not the right person before they served you, to have any legal claim you have to prove actual money losses directly related to their false service and not merely damage to your reputation for being served with a judgment.

Legally, in CA, innocent mistakes of identity like this are not legally actionable I am sorry to say.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.

Law Educator, Esq. and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you