How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34058
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I retired about 1.5 years ago. I now work part time, about

This answer was rated:

I retired about 1.5 years ago. I now work part time, about 30 hours per week. My employer (Maketewah Country Club) prints our entire 9 digit SS # XXXXX our paychecks. A few months ago, my check was given (by the superintendent) to another employee who does not speak English and may not be able to read. He took the paycheck to a Spanish convenience store (Los Three Amigos on Saint Lawrence Ave in Cincinnati). I was hoping to receive some sort of ID protection which was jeopardized by this action.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

If nothing seems amiss, first, be aware that no ID theft may have occurred. However, it is better to proceed on the side of caution

If someone has misused your Social Security number or other personal information to create credit or other problems for you, Social Security cannot resolve these problems, but there are several things you should do.

1. You should go to and report the identity theft to the Federal Trade Commission. Or, you can call 1-877-IDTHEFT (1-877-438-4338); TTY 1-866-653-4261. That website is a onestop national resource to learn about the crime of identity theft. It provides detailed information to help you deter, detect and defend against identity theft.

2. You also may want to contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). An identity thief also might use your Social Security number to file a tax return to receive your refund. If you are eligible for a refund, a thief could file a tax return before you do and get your refund. Then, when you do file, the IRS will think you already received your refund. If
your Social Security number is XXXXX another individual may use it to get a job. That person’s employer would report income earned to the IRS using your Social Security number.

3. Contact a credit reporting agency online (equifax, transunion, etc.). You only need to contact one. Have a fraud alert put on your file. It will be reported to all credit reporting agencies. With that fraud alert in place (there is no charge) no one will be able to borrow money or open a credit account with your social security number without you being contacted personally and confirming the request.

You may also want to order a credit report to confirm no accounts have been opened which were not opened by you.

It is my privilege to assist you.  Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

I am happy to answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. 

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I actually did contact Equifax and received a letter confirming they would place a fraud alert on my SS # XXXXX 3 months for free. Thereafter, it would cost me $ to continue the alert service. I will contact the IRS as per your advice - thank you :-).

I was considering contacting the General Manager of Maketewah CC (the employer) to see if he A. Knew of the incident with my paycheck, and B. If he would consider paying to protect my I.D. with a service.

Would I have a possible legal case to obtain such a service, or further, have a case for a law suit claiming my I.D. was jeopardized?


Thank you for following up with me.

Yes, you may have a case if the employer negligently released your private information. There is no reason to print your full SSN on your paycheck. They should be able to use the last 4 digits.

You can file a claim in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be user friendly and allow laypersons to present their case without an attorney. It also moves much more quickly than regular courts. 

I hope this is helpful to you.

Thank you.

Loren and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Format error
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "Loren" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Robert, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please consider rating me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.  
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Loren.

Your answers were logical and will help me make decisions pertaining to my problem.

I am happy to be of assistance to you.

Good luck.