How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Swartz Your Own Question
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3139
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Thomas Swartz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 2012 Audi Q5 that was purchased in Canada. I just

This answer was rated:

I have a 2012 Audi Q5 that was purchased in Canada. I just recently moved to the US. All the electronics on the vehicle can be converted to the US conventions, i.e. MPH, MPG, mileage except the for the analog speedometer which only shows KPH and not MPH. If I want to change that, it would cost me $1,000, which I think is absurd. Most vehicles I've seen come with an analog speedometer that shows MPH in big numbers and KPH in small numbers for vehicles sold in the US and the reverse for vehicles sold in Canada. Is there a small claims case here?

No, I'm sorry I don't think you have any basis for a small claims lawsuit. You purchased a vehicle in Canada made for the Canadian market, and complying with Canadian regulatory standards. The manufacturer is not responsible for your decision to bring the car to the U.S. and have it comply with U.S. conventions. The manufacturer could not anticipate that you would bring the car to the U.S. permanently and have its speedometer changed at their cost. I'm afraid that since it was your decision to bring the car to the U.S. it would be your legal responsibility to bear the cost of having speedometer changed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Thomas for your answer. I think my problem is a design issue. Although the vehicle is designed for Canadian use and meets that, the fact that vehicles do cross border either temporarily or permanently, it then become a safety issue. If my navigation system is active. There's no way for me to know the speed I'm going other than convert mentally KPH to MPH. Isn't that a safety issue to be considered?

Yes, it is certainly is a safety issue. But the car was still sold and presumably designed to meet Canadian standards, not U.S. standards. The mere fact that you made the decision to bring the car to the U.S. does not make the manufacturer liable to change the speedometer at their expense. Since it was your decision, I believe any court would find that you should bear the expense of changing the speedometer.

Thomas Swartz and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you