Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am trying to sue my for my business partner for $150,000

in New York State. I...
I am trying to sue my for my business partner for $150,000 in New York State. I cannot afford an attorney at the moment but I have about 50 ever evidence showing my claim.what are the steps should I want to do it myself?
10/1/2013
Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I need a bit more information from you before I can proceed to provide you with a complete and thorough answer to your question.

Can you tell me where in New York state you'd be suing?

Queens County

Hello Nelson,

You would need to file a complaint in the Supreme Court for Queens County New York and have it served on your business partner.

The complaint would need to detail each and every cause of action that you have against your friend, but you need not include supporting documentation with the initial complaint.

After you serve the complaint, your business partner will be required to answer the complaint.

At that point, you can make a motion for summary judgment or request to proceed through to trial.

Here is information on serving the summons on your partner (the defendant):

http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/nyc/civil/forms/InpersonInstructions.pdf

And here is information regarding the Supreme Court of New York for Queens County, Civil Term:

http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/11jd/supreme/civilterm/index.shtml

You can and may also want to consider filing for alternative dispute resolution if you would rather have your case decided by an arbitrator.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service. Definitely contact me if you are contemplating leaving me a negative rating, as I’ll be happy to continue to address your concerns until you are satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get paid for my work. It is necessary for you to rate my answer even though you’ve made a deposit or are a subscriber. I only receive compensation for my work if you rate me positively. Otherwise, I receive nothing for assisting you, and the website retains your entire deposit.

Thanks and best of luck!

-Joseph
Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer

Thankfully thanks

Thank you Nelson and best of luck!

once again thank you Joseph. If I need further information I will definitely contact you.

Joseph
Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer