Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

If you currently have an alcohol restriction and get pulled

Customer Question
over and charged with a...
If you currently have an alcohol restriction and get pulled over and charged with a DUI, 2 DWI's, negligent driving, speeding, failure to stop at sign. failure to fasten reg plate to vehicle, what are your chances of not getting jail time and how much roughly would court costs total to?? I know there was a DUI years ago and that is why there is a alcohol restriction presently on the license.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Legal
10/1/2013
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 4 years ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. Did the defendant submit to any sobriety exercises or breath test?

Yes but I dont know what the results were but the police officer did tell me he failed it

Thank you for the additional information. As a result of the alcohol restriction alone with the 3 DUI/DWI charges, it is possible that the prosecution may seek jail time. It really depends on the facts of the case and if you have any legal defenses to raise, which could effect the out. I have provided the potential penalties below, which could be imposed, so you could be looking at fines and costs of well over $1000. In addition, your license would be suspended, you would have to perform community service and at a minimum, be placed on probation. Your attorney will need to look over the facts of the case and see if you have any legal defenses. Moreover, they could try and work out a plea deal, to avoid trial and possible jail time.

2nd Drunk Driving Conviction
Second DUI
Jail – Up to 2 Years
License Suspension – 1 Year (If Within 5 Years of Previous)
Ignition Interlock Program Possible (After 45 Days of Suspension)
Fine - Up to $2,000

Second DWI
Jail – Up to 1 Year
License Suspension – 1 Year Minimum
Fine - Up to $500

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
LegalKnowledge, Attorney