How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 30393
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Bought a used car in LA for $2350: I made down payment of $1000

This answer was rated:

Bought a used car in LA for $2350: I made down payment of $1000 in April. At time of sale Dealer promised to get transmission fixed. His selected mechanic did not fix the transmission and also broke the air conditioner. I refused to let him work on the car any further; but I continued to pay $200/wk until July to reach total payments of $2350. Now the Dealer has repeatedly promised me the title since car is now fully paid for. I've tried to contact him on several occasions (text and calls) for about three months to make arrangements to handle the registration/title issue (since he previously said we need to go to DMV together), but now he will not communicate with me at all. I cannot register the car without the title. How can I get him to either give me the title or repay my money?


My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Legally, when a person sells a car, there is an implied warranty that the person will be able to title and register it in his name. If a dealer refuses to do so within a reasonable time, the buyer may sue for a full refund. The car would then be returned to the dealer. What is reasonable can vary, but there is no reason that a seller should not be able to get a title to a new car within three months. That means that, if you were to file suit, the judge would likely order him to give you a refund.

The other option, to avoid going to court, is to send a demand letter, via certified mail, giving the dealer a specific amount of time to produce the title or you will sue. Typically, a demand letter might give someone a week or ten days to resolve the issue. If he's not going to work with you, though, you can just go ahead and file a lawsuit.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you