How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My house was trespassed by 2 church members. I live in upstate

This answer was rated:

My house was trespassed by 2 church members. I live in upstate NY. I recorded the event to include asking the individual to stay out. I used a small recorder. It was recorded unknowing to them. Can this recording be used in court or for other documentation?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer your question directly, New York law is known as a 'one party' recording statute. That means that so long as ONE of the parties to the recording consented, the recording is valid. Since you were there and you consented, that makes the recording valid and something that would be admissible in court as evidence. Please see N.Y. Penal Law §§ 250.00, 250.05.

Hope that helps!

Dimitry K., Esq. and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you