How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118135
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son is incarcerated in Adams county Iowa. He was moved from

This answer was rated:

my son is incarcerated in Adams county Iowa. He was moved from Fremont county jail to Adams. He is still considered Fremont's "property"
Adams county jail personnel have fought him to get on his needed medication, they are starving him (he now weighs about 170lbs/ 6'4") and they have removed all the inmate's coffee and any 'extra' food they would get because one inmate didn't want his dinner, so the others split it. He says the air conditioning is cranked up too high, he has one blanket and is freezing, and now they want him to chose between keeping his shower shoes, and some others that are too small, so he only has one pair of shoes.
He calls me with horror stories every other day almost. And, this man has been in San Quentin, and didn't tell me of inmate abuse. The women at Adams, in the front (secretary?) go to the inmates and tell them they don't want to hear any more petty complaints. (By the way, our last name is Petty)
So, does he have any rights to deal with this? These women seem to have a personal vendetta against inmates. I think they are abusing the "power" they have over these inmates. Please advise.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Failure to provide medication to inmates or provide proper medical care or nutrition are all violation of your son's Eighth Amendment rights against cruel and unusual punishment and grounds for a civil rights suit against the jail for this torturing conduct against him.

At this point, based on the conduct you describe and the denial of care he is receiving, it appears he has a case to file against the jail and you need to contact a civil rights attorney in IA to present the evidence to so that they can file suit against the jail and get a court ordered injunction to prevent further conduct like this towards your son and any other inmates.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have read that the inmate needs to have absolute proof to file a complaint and to receive justice. How does an inmate do this?


Thank you for your response.

He can prove he is not receiving treatment or medication just by his own testimony and the medical records. He can also get testimony of other inmates about the food conditions and the temperature and refusal to provide blankets. These cases are built many times on witness testimony from other inmates, but the improper medical care will come from medical records and proof of your son's medical condition.
Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you