Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I am a man living in Nashville, Tennessee and I broke off my

I am a man living in Nashville, Tennessee and I broke off my engagement with my fiancé. The engagement ring I originally gave her is a family heirloom and I want it returned to me. Is that my right under Tennessee law even though I broke the engagement?
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
In Tennessee, the rule is that an engagement ring is a conditional gift given in contemplation of marriage. If the marriage doesn't happen, then the giver of the ring gets it back.

The Court of Appeals addressed this precise issue in 2007. In the case of Crippen v. Campbell, 2007 WL(NNN) NNN-NNNN the Court held that under Tennessee law an engagement ring is a “conditional gift” by the donor that must be returned by the donee if the condition (i.e. the marriage) is not ultimately satisfied. Moreover, the Court further recognized that while in some jurisdictions the donee would be entitled to keep the ring if the donor was at fault for the demise of the engagement, the rule in Tennessee was not dependent on fault.
.
So botXXXXX XXXXXne is that you get the ring back even if you broke it off.
.
.
Thanks

In Tennessee, the Court of Appeals addressed this precise issue in 2007. In the case of Crippen v. Campbell, 2007 WL(NNN) NNN-NNNN the Court held that under Tennessee law (as is the case in most states) an engagement ring is a “conditional gift” by the donor that must be returned by the donee if the condition (i.e. the marriage) is not ultimately satisfied. Moreover, the Court further recognized that while in some jurisdictions the donee would be entitled to keep the ring if the donor was at fault for the demise of the engagement, the rule in Tennessee was not dependent on fault. - See more at: http://blog.wisemanbray.com/2013/law-faq-who-gets-the-engagement-ring-when-a-couple-breaks-up/#sthash.FjSivbOW.dpuf