How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117368
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister and I bought a house. We both put down $25000.each

This answer was rated:

My sister and I bought a house. We both put down $25000.each and I financed the balance. She moved out before the first year was up. Now I want to sell the house and she says she deserves half of the proceeds. I disagree. She never paid anything but half of the first years taxes. She has not paid for up keep, taxes any thing. How would I figure out what her percent of the house should be when its sold?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If she is listed as a joint tenant of the house on the deed, then legally she is entitled to 1/2 of the proceeds when the house sells, unless you had a written contract to the contrary. HOWEVER, that is not the end of the story either, since along with her right to 1/2 of the proceeds, she is also liable for contribution for her 1/2 share of all costs and expenses associated with the house, which includes her 1/2 share of the mortgage payments which you would offset from her 1/2 share of the proceeds from the house.

If she is not on the deed, then she is entitled only to a return of her $25,000 contribution for the house.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you