How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married to a same partner in Canada in 2009. Since

This answer was rated:

I was married to a same sex partner in Canada in 2009. Since I am a permanent resident of Florida, am I obligated to pay alimony?

Hello there:

Thank you for your question. I need a bit more information:

1. Are you divorced from your same-sex partner?
2. If you are divorced from your same-sex partner, where did the divorce take place?
3. Has there ever been a court order for you to pay alimony to your same-sex partner? If so, which court?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No divorce, no decrees.


No order either? If there isn't any of those things, then there is no obligation to pay alimony.

Let me know if further clarification is needed. Thank you!
Brandon M. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Brandon,


Thank you for your advice thus far.


So here's the deal...I am separated at the moment from my same-sex spouse in Canada.(Ontario).


I now live in Florida. If I signed a legal separation agreement in Canada would it apply here in Florida where I am a resident alien, and where same-sex unions are not legal?


How about a divorce decree?


Thanks Brandon,




Related Legal Questions