Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was convicted of a white collar crime in 2004 and have completed

Customer Question
my sentence and supervision in...
I was convicted of a white collar crime in 2004 and have completed my sentence and supervision in 2010. There was an order for restitution with payments of $100.00 per month. The Government put a judgement on me for an amount of over $1,000,000.00. Now I am trying to obtain a Reverse Mortgage to fix up my older home, pay some overdue bills and set my life back in order. This judgement shows up on the title search records. The Department of Justice Financial Litigation Unit has told me they will not release the judgement but they will consider allowing me to get some funds. How does this work and do I stand any chance at all of getting the loan?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Legal
9/27/2013
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The restitution unit issues a release on the lien to allow you to get a mortgage up to a particular amount on the home. However, once you get the loan, they put the lien back in place. They notify the lender of what they are willing to allow you to receive in equity on the home and that they will release that amount to them on the lien in the event the home is sold or in event of your death to let them know the loan will be covered.

Most lenders still are not going to lend money in cases of normal loans in these circumstances, BUT because this is a reverse mortgage, meaning the lender gets the home to sell upon your death to recover their money, that makes it a bit easier for you to obtain.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney