Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.
54899578

I suspect I have been slandered and am the subject of a witch

I suspect I have been slandered and am the subject of a witch hunt. I have been called a criminal, crook, should be in jail, but no one will come right out and accuse me of anything to my face.Every time something comes up missing at work, people turn cold toward me. I have a shy and introverted personality and it doesn't help that my husband is not supporting me on this. he thinks it is in my head. I have even approached individuals that have said it and they back pedal and act awkward around me, i have approached management and they are evasive and sweep my inquiries under the rug. I am subject to contempt and ridicule. my husband doesn't believe me that it is happening. He contacted my boss to tell him about this and now i think my boss is cooking up a scheme to get rid of me.in my last meeting with him i mentioned it, he just sat there, i said I dont think its in my head and that i am a reasonable person and i hope that there would open lines of communication. A few minutes later in the meeting, he said out of the blue- random- you know the law, and that there are unintended consequences. i just responded like if its broadly interpreted. (i am a government teacher) If fired, then I know I can/will move forward but until then what steps should i take. i have been documenting everything said to me and how i have been treated in the community and workplace. I am just sick.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My name isXXXXX am a licensed attorney, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I need a bit more information from you before I can proceed to provide you with a complete and thorough answer to your question.

Can you prove that there have been false statements of fact made about you to other parties?

Do you know who has been making these particular statements against you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No- i don't have actually proof. That's the problem.I think it is the administration.

Hello Lynn,

Unfortunately, to sue for defamation, you would first need to identify the particular parties that are making defamatory statements(false and damaging statements of fact) about you.

You would also need to be able to disprove a particular false statement and demonstrate that it has caused you some form of (typically economic) damages.

I would suggest that you continue to collect evidence and try to determine where these false statements are originating. If you do discover their origin, you can then file suit for defamation.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service. Please contact me first if you are contemplating leaving me a negative rating, as I’ll be happy to continue to address your concerns until you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work. Please also rate me highly (9-10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!

-Joseph
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I find out, or if they try to fire me, can i request a polygraph to prove my innocence? Will a statute of limitations apply as this has been going on for a few years but i just haven't been able to pin down exactly "what" it is.

Hello Lynn,

You can request a polygraph, but an employer is not obligated to give you one to discover if you're lying about something or not, unfortunately.

The statute of limitations won't start running until you discover what has been being said and who has been saying it, so you don't have to worry about it expiring.