How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was divorced in Missouri. The divorce decree awarded my

This answer was rated:

I was divorced in Missouri. The divorce decree awarded my ex-wife maintenance until I retire. What constitutes the term "retire"? Can I take my social security now and work full or part time without paying her the maintenance any longer?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Generally to 'retire' means to stop employment and pursue rightful benefits from Social Security and/or from your employer (if there is a pension plan that vested). Once you are in the phase when you begin receiving payouts and no longer work, you are considered 'retired'. If you are eligible for retirement now (you are 62 or older), you can retire and then petition the court to stop maintenance as per the conditions of your decree.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you