How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in nyc. My roommate the primary tenant is verbally abusive.

This answer was rated:

I live in nyc. My roommate the primary tenant is verbally abusive. As a result I've been hospitalized and am now in psychotherapy. We agreed I'd move out Nov 30, 2013. In order to protect myself; I've begun recording his rages toward me. He clearly see's me recording him and has asked that I discontinue recording. I stated to him as long as he no longer speaks to me, wears a robes, and leaves the bathroom free of feces (yes feces) I would discontinue recording him. His rages can lasts for several hours up to several days; hence this is the only way I feel some sort of protection.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with you

Please permit me to provide you with some welcome news. Under New York laws, specifically N.Y. Penal Law §§ 250.00, 250.05., you have the right to record any communication provided ONE party to the recording consents. As you are the consenting party, your roommate cannot compel you or demand that you cease and desist your recording. Plus, if he is so unreasonable and so potentially dangerous, I can absolutely understand your need and concern in protecting yourself from his behavior. Please feel free to record, he legally cannot stop you from such behavior.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions