How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 15 year old son has anger management issues and makes living

This answer was rated:

My 15 year old son has anger management issues and makes living in our house unbearable at times. He has damaged furniture, uses foul language and makes statements that he will kill my wife and 13 year old daughter when he gets mad at them. This usually happens in the evening when his medication wears off. He refuses to take any evening medication as prescribed by the psychiatrist. He refuses to clean up his kitchen messes, and refuses to help out around the house when asked. We are waiting for him to turn 18, so we can ask him to leave. Do we need a lawyer to help us remove him from the house at 18 which is allowed in Maryland? What about before his 18th birthday? Do we need a lawyer to help us find a therapeutic facility or foster home for him? What type of lawyer specializes in this, family law, juvenile?


My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard

I am sorry to hear that your son is going through this disruptive time in his life and that your family is in this situation.

So you want to remove your son from the home at this time, is that correct?

What is he on medication for, please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, we are considering it. He is currently being treated for ADHD.


Thank you and I am sorry to hear of this matter for your family.

I suggest that you may want to consider having him committed to a psychiatric ward of a hospital for evaluation

You can use this LINK and the form is an Emergency Evaluation Form to be filed with the Circuit Court in the county/city where you live

You will have a hearing and if the Judge agrees there should be an evaluation, then your son will be transported to a mental health facility.

The other way is to call the police and request he be taken to the nearest hospital with a Mental Health/Psychiatric ward because he is a threat to the family members and possibly even himself.

If you want a local attorney to help you, I suggest you can contact one who specializes in juvenile law. They are most experienced with issues of children who are incorrigible/angry/violent

I suggest that is difficult to have a child removed from the home and made a ward of the state. But it has been done. The state will take the child, house them in a mental health hospital or even place with a foster family if such mental health evaluation suggests that is in the best interest of the child. The parents, however, are responsible financially for the amount the state uses to maintain the child

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated

Sam and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions