How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just received a Warrant in Debt (Civil claim for Money). This

This answer was rated:

I just received a Warrant in Debt (Civil claim for Money).
This stems from a car accident I was involved in last year with my neighbor. I had just pulled out of my driveway, traveling maybe 4mph. When I struck another vehicle (I had not noticed when I started moving) that was crossing my lane of travel. The neighbor's car had a very small dent (passenger back fender) and mine just some scratches. At the scene my neighbor claimed she was fine and went inside. She was not even listed as a passenger on the police report. (I offered to pay for the damages to the car, she insisted the police get involved). My neighbor now claims that she was injured and now wants a debt of $25,000. Is my neighbor suing me personally? I now live across the country, do I need to appear in court or could I hire a lawyer to appear for me?

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My name isXXXXX am a licensed attorney, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, a warrant in debt is a notification that you are being sued in court. The neighbor is suing you personally, although if you have insurance, you would be indemnified by your insurance company and should contact them directly as they would represent you in the law suit.

$25,00 should be well within your policy limits, and the claim for $25,000 seems merit-less anyway, so if a settlement offer is made it would probably just be to get her to go away and would be made for less than what she is requesting (as there seems to be no basis for that level of damages from a 4 mph collision).

Your insurance company will represent you, since they are the ones that would be paying if the person actually receives anything. (She likely has sued since she wasn't happy with what the insurance company was offering her for compensation for her injuries).

Contact your insurance company, as you should not have any legal expenditure in this case. You also shouldn't have any need to personally appear for this case unless you are subpoenaed for a personal appearance for a deposition or some other reason.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service. Please contact me first if you are contemplating leaving me a negative rating, as I’ll be happy to continue to address your concerns until you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work. Please also rate me highly (9-10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!


Joseph and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much! I will contact my insurance company first thing in the morning.