How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I file a lien against my daughter as she and husband

This answer was rated:

How do I file a lien against my daughter as she and husband have stopped paying for the house,I have no signed agreement just receipts were they have been paying
Thank You

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My name isXXXXX am a licensed attorney, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I need a bit more information from you before I can proceed to provide you with a complete and thorough answer to your question.

Is the house in your name or your daughter's name?

Have you sued them yet for the amount of the unpaid loan?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I did the stupid thing and for 10.00 signed it over to them They agreed to give me 58,000.00 for the house-then they paid a guy and he said it was only worth 38,000.00 they have only paid 3,000.00 of that to me


Hello JoAnne,

First, you need to file suit against your daughter and her husband based on breach of oral agreement for failing to pay you the money that they agreed upon for the house.

Once you obtain a judgment against them, then you can file for a judgment lien to have a lien placed on the property to enforce the judgment, if they are unwilling to pay you the amount of the court ordered judgment.

I would suggest that you first contact them, however, as filing suit and obtaining a judgment lien are very time consuming (in addition to filing fees), so it'd be best to resolve the situation without legal intervention.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service. Please contact me first if you are contemplating leaving me a negative rating, as I’ll be happy to continue to address your concerns until you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work. Please also rate me highly (9-10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!

Joseph and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you