Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I received a preliminary status order in respect to an employment

issue. In it the...
I received a preliminary status order in respect to an employment issue. In it the court is saying extensive preparation is not needed plus settlement options will be discussed during the conference. I do not have legal counsel since my financial condition has become weary due to legal battles along the way. Do you recommend that I represent myself here? And, how much damage can I do to myself if I am not able to get someone to represent me? Can you recommend someone who will work with me? I have a pension and social security income. My telephonic conference is Oct. 3, 2013. Stephen
9/21/2013
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

In an employment action where the issues are complicated, it is never a good idea to represent yourself. In fact, even attorneys will not represent themselves in these matters because a pro se party can lose objectivity and that can cause him to miss things in a case.

The damage you can do to yourself is you could end up not just losing your case, but also losing or ruining any chance you might have had on an appeal.

Unfortunately, legal fees in employment cases can be costly and legally we are forbidden from representing customers from this site. Whether or not you scrape together the down payment is based on how important this case is to you and what you have to gain if you win. You have to do a cost benefit analysis and be honest with yourself on the case.

NY attorneys are very tough with these employment cases and those types of down payment retainers are not unusual I am sorry to say.

If you are going to represent yourself, before you do anything go to the local library and get yourself a copy of the NY Rules of Civil Procedure and the NY rules of Evidence, because the courts will not cut you any breaks for representing yourself and this is where many pro se litigants cause irreparable damage to their cases.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Since you are not able to represent me, can you name someone that may be able to take my case? Stephen

Thank you for your reply.

I must apologize but the rules of this site forbid us from engaging in representation or making personal referrals and the reason is that it allows us to give unbiased information without people thinking our goal is to get clients for ourselves or friends. The only thing we can do is suggest the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.martindale.com or http://www.hg.org and you can find local employment attorneys who have been reviewed on those sites.

Thanks for your help. I understand that in order to truly get fair
representation one must be equipped with funds to at least pursue your
endeavors. I've always understood that. I'm still trying to get some kind
of support. God be with you. Stephen.

Thank you for your response.

I wish you the best here and hopefully you can get yourself some attorney you are comfortable with to help you out on this matter.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney