How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27186
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My in laws are physically and verbally abusing my adult daughter.

This answer was rated:

My in laws are physically and verbally abusing my adult daughter. She is afraid to report it. Can I as her father take legal action and get the police involved even though she is of adult age ?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If there is actual physical abuse, that is a criminal offense and the in-laws can be charged criminally, by the State of California. If you know that she is being a victim, you can contact the police and file a report, having them investigate. In an ideal situation, you would witness this or your daughter would be willing to file a report on her own and call the police, which could result in their arrest. The verbal abuse is a lot more difficult, since it may not be a basis for criminal charges and if she is not willing to do anything about it, may make it hard for the court to get involved. As you stated above, she is an adult, so she is the first person who needs to take action. However, if this goes on in your presence and the abuse is physical, the police need to be called.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My wife convinced her to move back home on tuesday, but her husband keeps calling her cell phone that is actually supplied by her inlaws and attempts to get her to come back. I think she may do this as she has been

physically abused in all her romantic relationships thus far. She is 21

I feel I should send a simple certified letter to the in-laws putting them on notice quickly.

There is nothing wrong with getting involved and trying to resolve this, civilly. No threats should be made and if you have concerns, can simply tell them this matter will be turned over to the police as needed and your daughter will seek to go after them or her husband, for any physical abuse. If her in-laws supply the phone, offer to buy her a new one and she can change her number, so they will not bother her. Also, she has no obligation to answer the phone if she does not want to.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My daughter is to afraid to take any action, it is a military family that is extremely reclusive and has separated themselves from their own immediate family, no one visits them. I will be the sole person to bring forth the complaint. My wife is scared also, my wife has pictures of the physical abuse also. My wife may not to them over because she feels it might make our daughter turn on her. I am ready to take action regardless if this happens to either one of us.

I respect your decision to get involved and help your daughter. As such, you can certainly go to the police, speak with them about the physical abuse, present to them any evidence which you have and ask that they investigate the matter. The major thing which you need to do, is have your daughter accompany you and provide a statement and ask to file charges against them. Without a victim nor you seeing this first hand, the police may consider this nothing more then a mere allegation or speculation.
LegalKnowledge and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you