How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116701
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to find birth record of baby girl born at Florida hospital

This answer was rated:

I need to find birth record of baby girl born at Florida hospital in 1960. How do I find out this information.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Is this an adoption record or involving a sealed birth record?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, this is a adoption record. Baby girl born in November 1960 at Florida Hospital. Possibly a sealed record.
Thank you for your response.

I am afraid that under FL law,

65C-16.016 Access to Closed Adoption Records.

(1) The confidentiality of adoption records, original birth records, and court files is protected by sealing them upon adoption finalization. Persons seeking information from those records will be referred to the headquarters Office of Family Safety for assistance. Florida law requires non-identifying information to be released to adoptive parents and adult adoptees but does not allow access to the record by other parties.

(2) Requests for information from closed adoption records must be written, and no information will be released by telephone. Because records must be indexed by names of the adoptive parents, that information must be included in the letter requesting release of information as well as some form of identification such as a photocopy of the client’s driver’s license or birth certificate.

(3) In order to respond to written requests from adoptive parents or adult adoptees for non-identifying information, the department or the community based care provider agency must be able to access the adoption records and other records which concern the adoptee. The department or community based care provider agency shall retain as confidential all records relating to each child who became adopted through the department’s adoption program. These confidential records shall be referred to as department closed adoption records and shall be retained in the circuit/region or in the community based care provider agency until called for by the headquarters Office of Family Safety for permanent storage.

(4) The department will assume responsibilities for the closed adoption records of private licensed child placing agencies in Florida who cease to operate.

This means I am afraid that unless both parties of the adoption consent to the release of the information no information will be released and you would have to go to court. Even the FL courts rarely unseal adoption birth records even for medical emergencies and will usually only obtain redacted medical information to keep the identity of adoptee or biological parent confidential.

I am sorry, the hospital or department of vital records, which are the only places those records would be cannot release them without court order or if the adoptee and the biological parent both submitted consents to the release of the information.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions