Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Legal Expert
19305272

I was supposed to get married in July, but we did not get along

I was supposed to get married in July, but we did not get along so we called off the wedding. I have asked for my ring back but she says its hers. By Colorado State Law do I have the right to get my ring back? If so what action should I take?

Thomas McJD :

Hi, I'm Thomas and will be happy to assist you. My goal is to make you a very satisfied customer! Thanks in advance for your patience.

Thomas McJD :

In Colorado, the engagement ring given by one to the other is considered a gift CONDITIONED upon carrying through with marriage. Thus, it's not a completed gift until the wedding occurs. If the wedding doesn't occur, then the person that bought the ring gets it back.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So she says she is keeping it. What action should I take to get it back?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm sure I still have time to ask questions... what action should I take now?

You can try threatening suit against her to see if that makes her know you're serious and satisfy your request. This usually works best if a formal demand letter comes from a local attorney that specifies you want the ring returned and will take legal action if it is not.

If that doesn't work, you unfortunately would have no choice but to sue her.

If the ring is worth $7,500 or less, you can sue in small claims court.

http://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/SmallClaimsHandBook.pdf

If it's worth more than that, you would need to proceed in regular civil cour.

You could do small claims yourself with the instructions at the link above (and other various resources you can easily find on the internet). If you have to proceed with a regular civil suit, then it would be best to retain a local attorney for assistance as a regular suit is far more complex and not something a lay person can generally do properly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok. Thank you.

Jake

You're welcome. Glad I could help. I would be grateful if you could please leave me a positive rating for my assistance. I cannot receive any credit for my work without your positive rating. Thanks and have a great day!