How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6516
Experience:  Legal Expert
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was supposed to get married in July, but we did not get along

This answer was rated:

I was supposed to get married in July, but we did not get along so we called off the wedding. I have asked for my ring back but she says its hers. By Colorado State Law do I have the right to get my ring back? If so what action should I take?

Thomas McJD :

Hi, I'm Thomas and will be happy to assist you. My goal is to make you a very satisfied customer! Thanks in advance for your patience.

Thomas McJD :

In Colorado, the engagement ring given by one to the other is considered a gift CONDITIONED upon carrying through with marriage. Thus, it's not a completed gift until the wedding occurs. If the wedding doesn't occur, then the person that bought the ring gets it back.

Thomas McJD and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So she says she is keeping it. What action should I take to get it back?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm sure I still have time to ask questions... what action should I take now?

You can try threatening suit against her to see if that makes her know you're serious and satisfy your request. This usually works best if a formal demand letter comes from a local attorney that specifies you want the ring returned and will take legal action if it is not.

If that doesn't work, you unfortunately would have no choice but to sue her.

If the ring is worth $7,500 or less, you can sue in small claims court.

If it's worth more than that, you would need to proceed in regular civil cour.

You could do small claims yourself with the instructions at the link above (and other various resources you can easily find on the internet). If you have to proceed with a regular civil suit, then it would be best to retain a local attorney for assistance as a regular suit is far more complex and not something a lay person can generally do properly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok. Thank you.


You're welcome. Glad I could help. I would be grateful if you could please leave me a positive rating for my assistance. I cannot receive any credit for my work without your positive rating. Thanks and have a great day!