How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A boyfriend from 40 years ago wishes to include me in an autobiography

This answer was rated:

A boyfriend from 40 years ago wishes to include me in an autobiography (believe it is already written). I do not want this as our relationship was riddled with embarrassing situations I do not want public. This person has been harassing me as well. Please help. Thank you

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I need a bit more information from you before I can proceed to provide you with a complete and thorough answer to your question.

Can you tell me what the nature of the harassment is? Has he been making any threats of violence against you, or are you just irritated that he is continuing to contact you?

Also, are you concerned that your ex-boyfriend is making false statements about you, or just that he would disclose what happened in your relationship without your consent?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No threats of violence but fear his potential to cause bodily harm.


Both false statements and disclose embarrassing situations from our relationship. Also, from the letters, emails and phone calls received his perception of the relationship and mine are worlds apart.


I was 19 and he 30 during that relationship. I am now 60 and live an entirely respectable life and wish to be left alone and not included in any of his life events.


Hello Carolyn,

Thanks for the additional information. I'll get back to you shortly.
Hello Carolyn,

Unfortunately, nothing your ex-boyfriend is doing currently is illegal. It is actually not illegal for him to use you in your autobiography without your permission.

However, it constitutes defamation if he makes false and damaging statements about you in the autobiography. If that is the case, then you can sue him for defamation after the publication of his autobiography, if it is even published. (Unless he's been particularly successful or is a writer, it is highly unlikely that any publisher would be interested in putting out his autobiography).

You can block him on Facebook to prevent him from contacting you any further. Unfortunately, the police aren't going to get involved absent threats of imminent bodily harm.

I realize the above information is not what you wanted to hear and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate an honest and direct answer to your question. It would be unprofessional of me and unfair to you to provide you with anything less.

Please let me know if you have any follow up or clarifying questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service. Please contact me first if you are contemplating leaving me a negative rating, as I’ll be happy to continue to address your concerns until you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work.

Thanks and best of luck!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.



No I appreciate your honest answer and it was as I feared. I did call my local police today and they suggest sending him notice to stop trying to contact me. Then if he continues they can help.

Only thing with this site is I do NOT want to continue service but am unable to figure out how to stop a monthly charge going forward?

Also will your fee for this be $60 or should I anticipate more charges?


Thanks again




Hello Carolyn.

The charge for this question is 60 dollars. I can't answer your questions regarding billing. That's a matter for customer service.

You can contact them here:


or the other information here:
Joseph and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you