Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.
54899578

Issue: Florida HOA has been served notice for pre-trial hearing

Issue:
Florida HOA has been served notice for pre-trial hearing in small claims court by a member.

Two questions:
1) 720.311(2) F.S. requires presuit mediation.
Can we ask for dismissal on that basis as the plaintiff has not requested mediation first?

2) Do we need to file an "Answer" to the counts ahead of time? If no is it still better to file ahead of time?

Thanks

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

1) Yes, you are correct. Pre-lawsuit mediation is requried under 720.311(2) F.S. You can request that the case be dismissed since the plaintiff did not request pre-trial mediation first before suing the HOA.

2) No, it isn't necessary to file an answer to this notice. Answers are only required in response to complaints in regular court hearings. However, it is fine to file an answer ahead of time, and you can bring up the fact that there was no attempt to engage in pre-lawsuit mediation, and the case should be dismissed for violating 720.311(2) F.S.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service. Please contact me first if you are contemplating leaving me a negative rating, as I’ll be happy to continue to address your concerns until you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work. Please also rate me highly (9-10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!

-Joseph