How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Virgina. I have a friend that is 17. He bought a

This answer was rated:

I live in Virgina. I have a friend that is 17. He bought a scooter with a loan from his father which has subsequently been repaid. His father kicked him out of the house but took the keys to the scooter and refuses to give them back. He also refuses to allow him to take anything other than his clothes (not allowing him to take TV, Xbox, etc. that were given as gifts for Christmas and birthdays). Can he do that?

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

He cannot do any of what he has done legally, and would be required to give his son all property that he rightfully acquired through purchase, gift, inheritance, or other means.

Minors do have a right to own property and he has the same right to property that an adult would have. His father is wrongfully withholding his property. He can try to get the police involved to see if they will accompany him to his father's to reclaim his property. Otherwise, he would need to file suit for return of the property and/or for the value of the property that was wrongfully taken from him.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service. Please contact me first if you are contemplating leaving me a negative rating, as I’ll be happy to continue to address your concerns until you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get credit for my work. Please also rate me highly (9-10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!

Joseph and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Hello Keith,

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should you have future legal questions.

Please request me directly by placing “to Joseph” at the beginning of your question or you can ask a question directly to me through my URL here:

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and best of luck,