How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27260
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend moved out over 30 days ago but still has tools

This answer was rated:

My boyfriend moved out over 30 days ago but still has tools in garage & toy memorabilia. I iwn this hime in Cherokee county, city of canton GA. what is my obligation regarding his things? Police said since he voluntarily moved he gave up right to access. I no longer want to be free storage.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Do you know why he has failed to contact you about the remaining items and 30 days have passed? Did he respond to your email?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He has tried to come back but only to manipulate. He came to get TV on 9/13 & was supposed to come back next day for rest. He didn't. He broke his phone & I am taking laptop to police tomorrow. I don't want any of his stuff in my home. I texted his family & sent formal email stating he must give 24 hour notice before arriving. He will not respond.

Shari, thank you for the additional information. You certainly do not want to place yourself in a position, where you dispose of his personal items and then he comes back and tries to sue you for damages, out of spite. As such, you should provide him with written notice, advising that these items have been left for over 30 days and unless he contacts you within _____________ days and sets a time to retrieve them, you will consider them abandoned and dispose of them. Moreover, you can advise him that you intend to charge him a storage fee for this items as they are occupying your personal space, without cause. This way, if you do end up throwing them away ,selling them or donating them and he tries to sue you, you have evidence to show he made no attempt to retrieve these items. In an ideal situation, he would agree on a day and time and he would get everything from you, as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did essentially say that but will resend. Do I need to list his items? He has not given me a dime & also left his dog for me to care for. Said I could stud him out. Can he say something of mine is his?

You do not have to care for his dog and could like sue and charge him for the cost of caring for it. If possible, give him an itemized list of the items to protect your interest, in case he tries to claim that something was missing. He needs to have a legal right to claim something of yours as his, so you can just allow him access to the garage, so he does not try and claim anything inside the home.
LegalKnowledge and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I need to find out what protection I need regarding a lawyer. My ex is making slanderous accusations that could result in an investigation. I filed a police report for theft of my iphone, visa rewards card, flash drive that contains all my personal information, he was using spy ware to track m & record calls/texts. Accused me of drugging him & sneaking men in house while his 2 little girls were here. I'm getting to attempt to get a protective order but the officer recommended I speak w attorney.

Who did he make these allegations to?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

His mother than in a text Friday night, I was told he told his soon to be ex wife & her brother in law who is a Cherokee ciunty detective for sheriff dept in the county I live in. Also identity theft & opening his mail. He is nuts...Also said there were tunnels under my house for me to sneak them in, I was oart of some secret hacker group & was going to frame him. I have immaculate credit, bought my dream home, college efucsted w a good job in telecommunication sales. Its crazy!!

You can certainly go to the court house tomorrow and file a restraining order / protection order against him, if you are in fear and if he is harassing you. You can also proceed with the police report as needed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That was not helpful. I was told to seek legal advice on the best way to protect my self outside of police report/investigation. What type of atty do I need regarding his allegations, his personal property still here & protection against whatever he is up to with stealing my flash drive & hacking into my network.

Our site does not allow us to provide legal advise. We can only provide information. If he stole personal items, that is a criminal offense and the police need to investigate and possible charge him. On your own , if he is harassing you, you can file a restraining/protective order against him and also sue him civilly for damages if the police do not arrest and charge him