How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27237
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son attends SUNY Oneonta and just got charged with Class

This answer was rated:

My son attends SUNY Oneonta and just got charged with Class A Misdemeanor for punching someone on campus which resulted in victim receiving 13 stitches. Oneonta police are processing and he's able to post bail at $500. My question is does he need to retain a lawyer for this when he goes to court?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. It is always best to retain a criminal defense attorney in a situation like this. The reason being, is that they can make a demand for discovery and look over all the evidence which is going to be used against him, to determine if he has any legal defenses to raise. Moreover, the attorney may want to depose the victim and see if he provoked the attack and if there is a possible self defense claim. If not, then the attorney can work out a plea deal, which is in the best interest of your son. If your son were to just handle this himself, he may be provided a not so favorable plea deal and possible miss the chance to raise any defenses or obtain a lesser sentence, if he is looking to resolve this with a plea.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
LegalKnowledge and 11 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you