Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

i believe a female coworker has been dragging my name through

the mud while trying to...
i believe a female coworker has been dragging my name through the mud while trying to get many other people to act as witnesses against me in order to accuse me of sexual harassment for staring at her and others. I have overheard bits and pieces of things being said about me and have gradually begun to be treated like a scumbag by basically everyone i work with and have reached the point where i feel as if i cannot look at anyone without it being dodumented as a case of me staring at them. as a male do i even have any rights in this case?
9/18/2013
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, has the employer formally spoken to you about this as yet? Have any complaints been made? Are the comments in any way justified against you? (I ask not to judge but to figure out what took place in the past so as to best assist you if I can). Please advise!

Nobody has spoken to me. I have not stared at anyone, in my opinion but I understand that they believe I have so I am becoming extremely self-conscious and avoid looking at any of these people when possible. I have documented an instance of them sending a younng woman to walk back and forth in front of me and then overheard a male say "Yes, he is staring at you, too!" when I asked her if she needed help and then looked at her funny when she walked away. This is what makes me think all of my behavior is being scrutinized unfairly.

Thank you for your follow-up, Bob.

In this case it may well help you get in touch with HR first. You are as entitled to a non-hostile work environment as anyone else. The fact that you are male does not turn you into a 2nd class citizen or someone with less rights--a male can be as unfairly targeted as a woman. I would strongly suggest you attempt to record this behavior and also bring it up to management especially if you were not yet complained about--if you make a grievance first, it would strengthen your claim that you are being pursued without cause by the other parties.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney