How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116716
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I am a tenant in California. I am reaching out for help

This answer was rated:

I am a tenant in California. I am reaching out for help because I just had a flood in the bedroom of my rental unit on friday. This is the second flood in a year (completely different problem then the first flood). The first flood I was very understanding and forgiving about even though it was caused by the drain to the shower in the downstairs room not being hooked up (which they didn't tell me). The first flood took an excessive two weeks for repairs to be done because the owner was too cheap to hire a professional. I understand things like this happen, so I didn't ask for any sort of reimbursement or compensation.

When the second flood happened I contacted the management company who came out to look at the problem with the HOA. Upon removing the dry wall they found a large amount of black mold. After hearing what was found, I contacted the management company to get someone out to start repairs or at least dry the moisture. Their reply to me was "well no one should be living in that room. That room was never intended as a bedroom." I understand that the property was leased as a 2 bedroom and technically, I am sleeping in the "bonus room", but it just so happens to be the largest room in the house, has 2 closets, and an attached bathroom... If it wasn't intended as a bedroom, I would be surprised. Plus, both the management company and owner knew I was living in that room from when the first flood happened. If it was a problem, they could have said something a year ago.

Anyway, it is now 3 days after I contacted them and still no one has come out. Furthermore, I called the HOA and they informed that the construction on the room isn't even permitted!

I am looking for a new place to live now and am planning on moving out at the end of the month. In the mean time I have slept on my couch for the last 3 nights as to not breath in the mold. Please advise me my options, if I am entitled to compensations, and how I should handle the management company.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Whether or not you should be using the room as a bedroom, your lease guarantees you peaceable use and possession of the entire premises, including this room. If this room is not habitable, they have breached the warranty of habitability and they are in breach of the lease.

The first thing you can do is report this mold condition to the department of health and building inspector. Second, you need to inform the management company that as they are in breach of your lease and the premises are not habitable, they have to pay for you to reside elsewhere while they make repairs or they have to refund your rent for the time you cannot live there.

If they refuse, then you would have a legal right to sue them for breach of lease and seek all of your damages, including costs of moving and having to stay someplace safe because of the hazardous mold conditions in your premises.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. Do I have any right to recoup loss for damage of personal items?

Thank you for your response.

Generally, the landlord is not liable for personal property damage of the tenant unless you can prove that the landlord knew about the problem and neglected to fix it and that problem subsequently caused your damage to your personal property. This is why many landlords require tenants to have renters insurance.