How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117365
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been paying on a debt that is all paid off now I just

This answer was rated:

I have been paying on a debt that is all paid off now I just got served Motion and order in supplemental proceedings for a judgment that was back in May that I never received papers for and they say that I owe for attorney fees and etc. for a late payment on that debt what can I do?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If you never received the original suit, you must now file a motion to vacate the judgment based on failure of service of process and denial of your rights to due process. You would also object to the suit based on the affirmative defense of "accord and satisfaction," meaning you paid the debt off and never had notice of any suit and they failed to properly serve you as such any judgment should be vacated and dismissed.

You file the motion to vacate the judgment together with an Objection to the Supplemental proceeding.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

even if they say they sent it to my old place of business?

If they did not have proper personal service on you, then you can still argue service. Sending mail to an old closed business is not personal service so this can be argued as improper service.
Law Educator, Esq. and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions