How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102584
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filled out a proper notification of termination (resignation)

This answer was rated:

I filled out a proper 'notification of termination' (resignation) form and gave a 6 week notice to my employer - Fairview Healthcare. They told me to stay at home and not come to office for security reasons (I'm a network engineer). Towards the end of my 6 weeks I asked my boss if I could come in and get my personal items including 2 draws of paper files from 18 years of work. I was refused and I received 1 box of items returned to me with no files or the collected duringy 18 years with the company. Can I sue for these? What can I do? What rights do I have?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation. Specifically what items were not give back - any personal items (from home, etc)? Can you list them?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My files(paper) included everything from a file with all my awards, accolades, hand written cards and emails to several drawers full of files about protocols, hardware, white papers, education, etc filed duringy 18 years with company. Also all the professional contact cards of all the people I have worked with over those 18 years. My files took two complete drawers to store.

Thank you.

You may have a case here to get your personal items back via what is known as a replevin. See here.

Shortly put, replevin is the request to a Court to have the Court order a party that wrongly is holding your property to give it back.

Now, the company may make a claim that this is their property because it has their logo on it, or some ridiculous argument to that effect. If so, then the Judge decides on a case by case basis. The winner also may request that their attorney fees be tagged on as well. May I recommend the MN Bar referral program - here. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP.

Often, a letter (from an attorney or one's self) demanding the items or else suit will follow is effective as the company would likely wish to avoid litigation. A letter from an attorney is best as it carries more gravitas, but one can be written by the party themselves. Please let me know if you need a sample.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX will pursue that. I filled out a survey and ranked you with the highest rating. On another note do I have to cancel my account to avoid recurring monthly charges? I did not sign up for anything other than giving my credit card number for a one time $48 answer. Thanks again.


I filled out a survey and ranked you with the highest rating

Thank you!

On another note do I have to cancel my account to avoid recurring monthly charges?

JustAnswer is usually pretty good about not overcharging, but just to be on the safe side, visit Customer Support at (upper right) and they can confirm this and provide instructions as to what to do. They are very good at responding fast and aim to please.

Thanks again.

You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to rate my answer in one of top three faces and then SUBMIT – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please REPLY to keep on chatting – I want you to be satisfied.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I gave you the excellent service smiley face. Smiletitle="Smile"/>


Hehe, thanks! It did not seem to register, however. Please do not forget to rate and submit (I think you may need to do both of these in order for it to count).

If not, no worries - really - I can always ask the moderator to look into the matter.

My main concern is for you to be satisfied. Everything else is superfluous.
Ely and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Now it registered - thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ely - should see it now. If not please lete know and I will make it right.


Yes, it registered, and thank you for your gratuity and your kind words.