How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My half-sister and her husband owe myself and my brother money

This answer was rated:

My half-sister and her husband owe myself and my brother money for child care we provided for them. My half-sister also worked for the apartment company we used to rent from. She villianised us to the company after a personal falling out. When we contacted the apartment company to get out damage deposit back, they dragged it out and finally admitted they paid our damage to out half-sister. We have tried to reach her to get this money from her and she refuses to get back to us. The reason the apartment company paid our damage to her is, because we did not have checks when we first moved in; so we gave her cash and she wrote the check.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I need a bit more information from you before I can proceed to provide you with a complete and thorough answer to your question.

Can you tell me what question you have regarding your situation?

Also, can you tell me how much your half-sister owes you for child care?

Did you have a contract or arrangement with her, in which she agreed to provide you a certain amount of money for child care services?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

we had a verbal agreement that her and her husband would pay 75 for their 7 year old and 25 for their 13 year old so we would get about a 100 dollars for watching them from Thursday to Sunday. they owe us somewhere around(NNN) NNN-NNNNI have the actual amount written down somewhere in a box, I just moved so I'll have to dig it out.


But my real question is how do we go about getting our damage from her, is it the company's responsibility to get it to us or do we have to deal directly with her?

Hello Sam,

I assume you mean your security deposit? Your sister was the one who technically paid this to the apartment complex, correct? And received the amount back?

Do you have a written agreement that stated this by any chance?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No at the time we didn't think it would become a problem so there was nothing written down but we paid her in cash the full amount, and when we moved into a larger complex and the security deposit had to be added to, I paid it then. so in total the security should be somewhere around 1600.

Hello Sam,

Thanks for the additional information. I will get back to you shortly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


I'll be back with you shortly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Hello Sam,

You would need to sue your half-sister in small claims court for the amount that you are owed for the security deposits that you gave your sister cash for, as well as for the child care money that you had agreed upon.

I have to be honest with you and inform you that proving verbal contracts is not an easy thing, since they normally wind up being he said/she said types of situations. So you will need any type of record you can get to support your claim. For the child care amount, hopefully you have the specific dates where you provided childcare and some notations about when this occurred.

For the security deposit, if you can get some records for the cash (bank account records are best but any other types of records you can use would help) to demonstrate that you and/or your brother had received that amount in cash around the time that you paid the security deposits would be helpful.

You will need to go through your half-sister to get this money, since the apartment complex held up its contractual obligations by refunding the security deposit to the person who paid it to them.

Finally, this information should be helpful in filing your small claims (conciliation court) case in Minnesota:
I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service. Definitely contact me if you are contemplating leaving me a negative rating, as I’ll be happy to continue to address your concerns until you are satisfied with my service.

If not, please remember to rate my answer positively so I get paid for my work. It is necessary for you to rate my answer even though you’ve made a deposit or are a subscriber. I only receive compensation for my work if you rate me positively. Otherwise, I receive nothing for assisting you, and the website retains your entire deposit.

Thanks and best of luck!

Joseph and 13 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you