Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I was accused of illegal actions, alongside a company for which

I was accused of illegal actions, alongside a company for which I work, in a whistleblower lawsuit. Since then the lawsuit has been dismissed. Can I sue for defamation?

Dwayne B. :

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

Dwayne B. :

The court is probably not going to let you bring a separate claim for this now. Possibly, but unlikely.

Dwayne B. :

In most cases any claims against the other party would have to be brought in the same lawsuit as the original cause because they are what are known as "compulsory counterclaims".

Dwayne B. :

Your lawyer could possibly argue that this claim wasn't ripe until the other case is disposed of since if there was a finding in their favor in the other case then that would negate this cause of action. You may want to speak with some local attorneys and see what the local judge would be likely to do if you brought the case.