Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What is 22651 (h) vc

What is 22651 (h) vc
9/15/2013
Hammer O'Justice
Hello.

22651 is the statute that gives police and peace officers the authority to have vehicles towed. The section (h) that you cite is the authority the police/peace officers have to tow a vehicle when the driver is arrested or the driver's license is suspended or revoked.

22651. A peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2 of the Penal Code, or a regularly employed and salaried employee, who is engaged in directing traffic or enforcing parking laws and regulations, of a city, county, or jurisdiction of a state agency in which a vehicle is located, may remove a vehicle located within the territorial limits in which the officer or employee may act, under the following circumstances:

(h) (1) When an officer arrests a person driving or in control of a vehicle for an alleged offense and the officer is, by this code or other law, required or permitted to take, and does take, the person into custody. (2) When an officer serves a notice of an order of suspension or revocation pursuant to Section 13388 or 13389.
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney