Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

there was a small flood in my apartment 8/28/13 due to my kids

there was a small flood in my apartment 8/28/13 due to my kids leaving water on and water poured downstair to neighorbors, water extraction company came out and sucked water up, however the relief hole in my sink is the size of a nickle. I am a single parent and now my landlord gave me a letter stating $300 is due in 2 days of be issued a 15day cause to vacate. I had maitenece come out to look at my sink and pipes and he seen that when he left the stopper down and let the water fill up in my sink, the small reliever hole did not work, water came above that. do i have to pay the $300 or do i have a case , by the way im month to month here at my apartments
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
do i have to pay the $300 or do i have a case
.
To be very honest with you if your children were the cause of the water overflowing, then the landlord can hold you liable for the cost of the damage. Whether there was an overflow drain or not, it was the actions of the children that caused any damages. Since a parent is responsible for the actions of their children, the landlord can hold you liable for the cost of clean up.
.
If you were to refuse to pay for the damages, the landlord could evict you and then sue you for the damages in small claims court or deduct it from any deposit.
.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers, even when an answer is not favorable to the customer.

.
.
Thanks