TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

I am a small business and on 03/31/2009 I signed a service

I am a small business and on 03/31/2009 I signed a service agreement with AVAYA for my office phone system maintenance. On 8/30/2013 I called and e-mail to cancel this service. I was informed that could cancel my service but would be charged through 4/19/2014. I was also informed that this was an automatically renewing contract, they had provided me written notice each year. Although I do not remember ever seeing any renewal notice it may have been included in the billing.

Is this legal in New jersey and am I responsible for all fees through the stipulate date?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your legal question.

Unfortunately, these sort of clauses, which are called "evergreen" clauses, are allowed in New Jersey. If the contract has automatically renewed and it may not be, by its own terms, terminated except on a yearly basis, then you would be required to finish out the contract.