How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 38879
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Legal Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was told by a handicapped person that there is a law that

This answer was rated:

I was told by a handicapped person that there is a law that covers a disabled person getting financial assistance to install a bathroom on my lower level of my home (where no bathroom exits) since I had hip surgery. Are you aware of any such law?

The only "law" of which I'm aware, which would apply in NY State is:

Two loan guarantee programs from the Federal Housing Administration, Title 1 and 203K loans, have loan size limits. The FHA programs can provide direct loans with below market interest rates (to 1%), higher than normal debt ratio (to 1%), extended terms (to 33 years), low down payments or financed closing costs. These loans can be used for acquisition or rehabilitation. The 203K program will also loan up to 80% of the repaired value of the home, making it useful for a household that chooses to move and make accessibility improvements in the new home.

HUD/FHA contact info can be found at this link.

Please let me know if I can clarify my answer or if you need further assistance.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you